Here is a quick list of little software, goodies and apps I use daily and love them:
1. Tasque – A Task Manager – Compatible to Remember the Milk Service. Light Weight, and very easy to add new tasks using Keyboard.. No need to ever use a Mouse to click.
2. GColor2 – Desktop Color Picker – Lightweight utility to get HTML and RGB color from anywhere on your screen. Great from Web Designers to get color ideas.
3. Take ScreenShot – Ubuntu Built-in Utility to take screenshot of whole window, or selected area. I use it almost every day to take shots and send to clients to make my point. You can find it in under Applications > Accessories > Take Screenshot
4. Artha – An Offline English Dictionary & Thesaurus – Wow I love this little friend, it has what every conventional dictionary tool misses i.e. If you enter wrong spelling, just like Google, it will give you options saying: Did You Mean…and give you options to choose from.
5. Blobby Volly Game – A cute little game to kill time when you need to. I really love this little fascinating game. Best when played by two players.
6. CheckGMail – A little app like Gmail Notifier, keeps you updated about your Gmail emails, good for quick overview of what is coming in there. Just search in “Application Software Center” in Ubunut for CheckGMAIL and click Install. Set it to be loaded on Start-up to run every moment to monitor your inbox.
7. VLC Media Player– My all time favorite one and only one Media player for all media needs. If you stick to this player for a week. You are going to love it for life.
Other applications include FireFox the great, Skype, Chrome, Open Office, GIMP and FileZilla.